In the wake of 2018 midterm elections, member activity on this issue is likely to decrease in 2019. However, advocates do plan to engage with school board elections, work with new leaders as they transition into office, and pursue specific governance reforms. Click here to explore the full 2019 Network Member Priorities overview.
- With new leaders taking office after the midterm elections, advocates are focused on ensuring progress continues after transitions take place.
- A few organizations, such as the DelawareCAN, Stand for Children Louisiana, and NewMexicoKidsCAN plan to engage with school board elections in 2019.
Nine PIE Network members in 8 states are planning to prioritize governance & elections issues in 2019.
Below, you’ll see lists of member organizations who plan to work on similar governance & elections policies. If you’re interested in connecting with any of the organizations listed below, ask Ryan for an introduction.
- CA Teach Plus California: Advise the LAUSD superintendent in establishing a teacher advisory structure
- CO DFER Colorado: Coordinate campaign to make sure Denver Public Schools continues reform-oriented policies with new Superintendent appointment
- LA Democrats for Education Reform Louisiana: Maintain strong relationships within OPSB advocacy and continue successful PR campaign
- IN Institute for Quality Education: Move the date for Governor’s appointment of the Superintendent of Public Instruction up to 2021 instead of 2025
- NC NorthCarolinaCAN: Support legislative changes to the ISD program to allow school districts to run the school, eliminate political pressure from selection process, strengthen language, and allow for more oversight and resources
State and School Board Elections
- DE DelawareCAN: Increase awareness of school board races and their role in school governance
- LA Stand for Children Louisiana: Elect education champions to legislature and Board of Elementary and Secondary Education
- NM NewMexicoKidsCAN: Recruit school board candidates for 2019 elections
- NY Educators for Excellence-New York: Launch GOTV campaign to increase union voter participation in upcoming UFT elections
Expertise on this Issue
Advocates from across the Network have offered to thought partner on the following issues within this policy area:
- Jack Holzman, GO Public Schools: Local school board elections
- Leslie Leavoy, DFER Louisiana: Election and policy-focused coalition building
Click here to explore the full 2019 Network Member Priorities overview.