Over the last two years, standards and assessments have decreased as priorities for Network members. The approval of state ESSA plans may have contributed to a sense of resolution, but advocates would be wise to remain vigilant. Click here to explore the full 2019 Network Member Priorities overview.
- In previous years, members were focused on defense of their systems; that is still likely the case even if not reflected in the survey results.
- A few advocates are seeking to innovate within their assessment systems, such as A for Arizona and DFER Colorado.
- Graduation requirements continue to be an area of focus as advocates look to ensure students are prepared for what’s next.
Five PIE Network members in 4 states are planning to prioritize standards & assessment issues in 2019.
Below, you’ll see lists of member organizations who plan to work on similar standards & assessment policies. If you’re interested in connecting with any of the organizations listed below, ask Eric for an introduction.
- AZ A for Arizona: Provide support during implementation of assessment choice policy
- CO Democrats for Education Reform Colorado: Create a grant program for districts to implement recently adopted, high quality science standards
- NJ JerseyCAN: Protect administration of a rigorous, high-quality assessment aligned to high standards and protect high-quality standards
- WA Black Education Strategy Roundtable: Retain high school graduation requirement of 24 credits and link test results to graduation
- WA Partnership for Learning: Maintain state’s rigorous test-based and credit-based graduation requirements
Expertise on this Issue
Advocates from across the Network have offered to thought partner on the following issues within this policy area:
- Becky Hill, A for Arizona: Assessment choice
Click here to explore the full 2019 Network Member Priorities overview.
Please log in with your PIE Network account.
For access to exclusive members-only content. If you work with a PIE Network member organization and don’t yet have an account for this site, you can request to get one below.