With many legislative sessions in full swing, a stack of resources on your desk, and a dozen newsletters in your inbox, it is easy to miss news and updates that could help you rethink a challenge or build your case. That’s why we’re rounding up recent stories and resources worth a second look.
Work Happening Now Across the Network
- Full Day Kindergarten in Colorado: Dozens of Colorado advocates, including Colorado Succeeds, Stand for Children Colorado, the Colorado League of Charter Schools, Democrats for Education Reform Colorado, and Teach Plus Colorado, are making a push for all day kindergarten.
- Expand Industry Recognized Credentialing in MA: More than 40 Massachusetts legislators have signed on to legislation that would expand industry recognized credentials.
- Push for Special Education Reforms in Washington: A coalition of Washington advocates, including the League of Education Voters and the Black Education Strategy Roundtable, are working to improve special education programs, funding, and accountability through op-eds, virtual opportunities, and in-person events.
- NC Educators Design Road Map for Enhancing Profession: A cohort of educators convened by BEST NC identities ten solutions to eliminate common barriers to the teaching profession.
- Year One of IL Tax Credit Scholarships: Empower Illinois breaks down the first year of Illinois’ ESA program.
- Board Book Seeks to Capture Diverse Candidates for Mississippi Leadership: Mississippi First launches effort to build pool of leaders for future opportunities.
Reports & Resources to Revisit
- Trends in Education Philanthropy: Benchmarking 2018-19: Grantmakers for Education highlights shifts in education investments.
- Reinvigorating the Pipeline: Insights into Proposed and Approved Charter School: The National Association of Charter School Authorizers analyzes trends from nearly 3,000 charter applications in 20 states.
- Show Me the Data: The Data Quality Campaign examines report cards from all 50 states and D.C. to see how well state leaders are using their most public-facing resource to empower the public with quality information.
- Start Here to Teach: NCTQ releases a first-of-its kind book featuring practical advice for aspiring educators.
- Addressing Charter School Facility Needs: The Foundation for Excellence in Education shares three steps policymakers can help to support charter schools as they face challenges around facilities.
- Race & Revenue: EdBuild examines school district revenues based on racial and socioeconomic characteristics at the national and state level.
- Low-income Students at Largest Charter Networks Graduating at 2-4 Time National Average: Richard Whitmire, education reporter and author, highlights new data that could reveal how to get more students get to and through college.
Interested in more real-time updates about work happening across the Network? Follow our Members and Partners List on Twitter. PIE Network members can learn more in our scan of 2019 Member Priorities or in the MAP database, featuring 1,000 plus policy initiatives and campaigns.
Questions about specific work? Reach out.