Each year, education champions across the country help advance policy and advocacy efforts that move the needle for students.
No matter the specific policy area, education advocacy is tough work. And while advocates might not take credit for game-changing policy decisions, they often play an important role that’s worth highlighting. The Eddies!—advocate-nominated awards—provide an annual opportunity to celebrate exemplar policymaking and advocacy campaigns from the past year. (Learn more about the Eddies! process here.)
Please join us in recognizing the slate of talented advocates nominated for this year’s awards—including the nominees for the final two Eddies! categories: Most Valuable Player and Game Changer of the Year. And, of course, the winners of each category (as determined by a selection committee made up of state advocates and national partners) will be announced Thursday, Oct. 4th at the PIE Network 2018 Summit. The Network MVP will be determined via live voting by Summit attendees.
- Game Changer of the Year recognizes a member or partner state advocacy campaign that led to a truly game changing policy or protected a critical existing policy.
- Network MVP highlights a team member of a PIE Network state-based member organization who has gone above and beyond to support advocates across state lines, or a team member of a national partner who has been exceptionally helpful to state-based advocates above and beyond that of their job description to move an issue forward.
- Best Kept Secret honors big advances in (or defenses of) policy that didn’t get big press.
- Most Actionable Research covers resources or tools that were widely applicable to state-level advocacy and broadly leveraged across the Network to help advocates make a compelling case for policy change.
- Best Ensemble Cast features coalitions that were artfully organized to respond to particular opportunities or challenges in their states, contributed to a policy win, and are worthy of replication.
Top 2018 Nominees
Game Changer of the Year
- America Succeeds: Age of Agility
- DelawareCAN: Who Runs Our Schools?
- Foundation for Florida’s Future and the Florida Charter School Alliance: Capital Outlay Funding for Public Charter Schools
- Foundation for Florida’s Future and Step Up for Students and the Florida Coalition of School Board Members: Tax Credit Scholarships for Students Who Are Victims of Bullying
- Tennessee Charter School Center, Low-Income Investment Fund: More Equitable Funding and Finance Opportunities Coming for Tennessee Charter Schools
- Tennessee SCORE: Preserving Tennessee’s Student-Centered Education Reforms
- Caroline Novak, A+ Education Partnership
- David Mansouri, Tennessee SCORE
- Patricia Levesque, Foundation for Excellence in Education
- Todd Ziebarth, National Alliance for Public Charter Schools
- Chad Aldis, Thomas B. Fordham Institute-Ohio
- Evan Stone, Educators for Excellence
- John B. King Jr., The Education Trust
Best Kept Secret
- Arkansas Learns: Aligning School Board Elections with Primary or General Elections
- BEST NC: Crafting Placement Protocol to Ensure All Students Can Access Advanced Courses
- Educate Nebraska and the Foundation for Excellence in Education: Creating Support to Improve Early Literacy
- Parent Revolution, Teach Plus California, Center for American Progress: Establishing a School Performance Framework for LA Unified
- ReadyCO: Education Reform through a Conservative Lens
Most Actionable Research
- A+ Education Partnership, Georgia Partnership for Excellence in Education, Mississippi First, Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence, Tennessee SCORE: Accelerating the Pace: The Future of Education in the American South and Accompanying Education Poll of the South
- Data Quality Campaign: Show Me the Data
- EdBuild: Reports on School Finance
- Educators for Excellence: Voices from the Classroom
- Teach Plus Illinois: Reforming School Discipline
- Thomas B. Fordham Institute: Charter School Deserts
Best Ensemble Cast
- A+ Colorado, Urban League of Metropolitan Denver, NAACP Denver Branch, African Leadership Group, Together Colorado, Padres y Jovenes Unidos & Alpha Phi Alpha, Inc.: Defending the Integrity of Accountability
- A+ Education Partnership: Implementation of School and District Letter Grades
- Communities for Los Angeles Student Success (CLASS) Coalition, including Teach Plus California and Educators for Excellence-Los Angeles: Realizing the Promise for All: Close the Gap by 2023
- Education Equity Delaware, including DelawareCAN and Rodel Foundation: Creating Fiscal Transparency
- GeorgiaCAN, Foundation for Excellence in Education, American Federation for Children, the Georgia Center for Opportunity, Georgia Chamber of Commerce, Georgia Charter Schools Association & Georgia Independent School Association: Tax Credit Scholarships, and Operational and Capital Outlay Funding for Public Charter Schools